To pertinently go off-topic, I get really annoyed with my 'expect the worst, hope for the best' attitude sometimes. It's a form of protection, see. It is necessary sometimes, but, generally, it's a piss poor attitude to have. It doesn't compliment my desire to just go with the flow.
All that to say that I had an honest good time.
On Friday, ATM + I went to another River Kings match. We had some seats close to the ice, the view completely obscured by fat heads and the away team's bench. This is the south, I don't expect hockey to take off and for seats to get filled, but it's happening. All of the seats around us were occupied, so it was a bit cramped. We were amidst a family of twelve and they kept getting out of their seats and squeezing past us, so before the third period, we found some empties a little higher up and with a much better view. I joked that ATM should take notes in a little notepad and pretend to be a hockey scout. Might as well, since we already stick out in Southaven, MS anyway. No victory this time, but I still had fun!

The next day, we met Jerry + Shawn (in-laws) for lunch at Rendezvous. So, to me, the food there is just o.k. I think it's criminal how much they charge for BBQ and I suppose you're paying for the atmosphere and "world famous" part. ATM + I have kinda sorta grown out of "Memphis food", like BBQ, fried chicken, and other wonderful gut bombs. By that I mean that it's not our first, second, or third choice when we're in town. We've been exploring other cuisines, trying on things we do not have here in (N)LR. But, what can you do when it's the restaurant of choice of others and they're picking up the bill? Smile and eat yr damn sandwich, is what!
After lunch, we walked it off at the Memphis Botanical Garden. The promise of spring is everywhere, but everything is completely dead head. Even the koi were still in hibernation. I love walking the Japanese part of the gardens because it's so inspirational. It is a life goal of mine to bonsai a full sized tree. I partially blame my boss for this interest as he has me trim the trees in our office every day that I'm there. I can't water them, though. That is reserved for the experienced. But, I can cut to my heart's content. It promotes growth, he says. Anyway, if and when we get past this kitchen renovation, I can start believing that we'll one day get our backyard in order.

Before we headed back home, ATM and I cruised down Summer Ave. to try ramen at Edo for supper. A couple of things: We've never driven down Summer Avenue. I thought I knew Memphis pretty well, but I keep learning how I don't know much of anything! We were so pleased to discover that it's a beautiful drive, faster than Poplar Ave., and there are so many things to explore over there! Didn't know it was possible to adore Memphis more, but here we are. Let's talk about Edo. It's my new favorite restaurant over yonder. It's a little run-down (in the best way possible) Japanese restaurant that reminds me of our beloved Mt. Fuji here in town. The food is fucking fan.tas.tic. I started with the agedashi-tofu (hold the bonito flakes) and ramen for my main meal. Tempura banana a la mode for dessert. Hot damn! I am sitting here smiling thinking back on it. I honestly cannot wait to get back there! Look at this broth!

I thought my design pals would get a kick out of this plank wood

1 comment:
Oh man I loved this. As much as I love your take on loving your own defeatist (realist) attitude.
I've only been to Rendezvous too and felt it was a little too much in love with itself and its "history." Give me a break with your paper everything and cheap boring sides.
I love how much you love that city and keep finding new places to explore.
Funny how you have relationships with both the River Kings AND the Kings River - ever think about that?
I keep thinking about y'all which means a visit is imminent.
Post a Comment